Our 100% pure Beeswax candles burn 3 times longer than paraffin candles without smoking or dripping if burned in a draft free environment. Unlike beeswax, paraffin candle wax is derived from coal, oil shale or petroleum. Many of the candles you see in the marketplace use paraffin as their base ingredient. Burning a paraffin candle releases toxins into the air which could cause health issues when inhaled. Pure beeswax candles clean the air by emitting negative ions, which help to eliminate dust, odors and pollens in the air. We do not use Fragrance Oils or dyes which are used in some paraffin candles and when breathed in, can cause allergic reactions. Our Beeswax Candles give off a slight but pleasant honey smell and have the brightest light of any other candle of similar size. We also use 100% cotton wicks, unlike some paraffin candles that are brought in from overseas and may contain lead in the wicks. We consider beeswax to be nature's all natural air purifier. General candle burning instructions. Please keep burning candles away from pets and young children for safety reasons. Check them every 1–2 hours and trim the wick to 3/8 inches for maximum burn time. Use caution when trimming a “cap” from the end of the wick since it is a hot ember and may leave a burn mark if it falls on a flammable surface. To extinguish, push the wick into the wax pool with a non-flammable object, then straighten the wick. Blowing out the candle may splatter the wax and leave it temporarily smoking.